Thursday, May 5, 2011

Obbligato - Uruma Location



I remembered from my first stay on Okinawa that Mexican food is few and far between in Japan. Other than the numerous taco joints scattered around, the only authentic Mexican restaurant chain is Obbligato. They have several branches: one in Uruma, one on 58 between Kadena and Lester, an Oblee in Yomitan near Torii, and a new restaurant called the Tortilla Factory near Foster. I was very pleased when I found out that my apartment on Courtney was less than 5 minutes away from the Uruma store! Depending on where you live, you could even walk there on a nice day.

For as long as I can remember, I have been a huge fan of Mexican food. I've been fortunate to have spent most of my time stateside in Oklahoma and Illinois, both of which have very good, authentic Mexican food. That, combined with my fondness for good tequila, makes me a bit picky about Mexican restaurants.

I'll be the first to admit that Obbligato is a little bit Japanesey at times. For example, most of the lunch menu items include an egg over easy, and some white rice. My friends and I all think that the salsa tastes a bit like marinara sauce, too. Their biggest faux pas (in my opinion) was the fact that their margaritas are made with whiskey, and not tequila. (Shenanigans!) For the most part, though, the food is pretty good; probably the best Mexican food on Okinawa. (Okay, so they're the only option. That does technically make it the best!)



Some dishes are more authentic than others, like the Enchiladas Mexicanas that I had for lunch today. The enchilada sauce is a bit milder than you would normally expect, but I like it, and the meat inside is well seasoned. This particular set cost ¥650, and includes two enchiladas, one ground beef and one shredded chicken; a choice of beans or mole; and Mexican rice.

They have a good variety of food to choose from, and all my favorite Mexican foods are included. They have chimichangas, tacos, taco rice, mole, carnitas, and a lot more. Everything is reasonably priced, too. Lunch items tend to cost ¥800 or so, and some of the bigger meals are a little pricier, but usually aren't more than ¥1,200 or so.

Obbligato also sells their fresh, homemade flour tortillas at all of their locations. They come in packages of 6, and there are two sizes that I'll call taco sized and burrito sized because I forgot the measurements. They are definitely more expensive than the El Paso brand at the commissary, but sometimes it's nice to splurge on fresh stuff.


Hours and Info:

Obbligato is open from 11:00 am until 10:30 pm every day. If you'd like to call for take-out, their number is 098-972-4220. The staff speaks very good English, and usually your order will be ready by the time you drive over there. Their website is http://www.obbligato.co.jp/, and they do list their menu items online, complete with photos. There is plenty of parking in the front of the building.

Directions:

From Courtney, turn left onto Route 75. Obbligato will be on the right just past the first stop light at the Family Mart.

From McTureous, turn right onto Route 8. When you come to Route 75, turn left. Obbligato will be on the left.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment